Getting the Most out of your Ecanvasser App
- Have all of your Canvassers become confident in using the App before you go live, it shouldn’t take too long, and you can be certain to ensure no information is lost!
- Make sure that your battery is fully charged prior to beginning a canvass.
- Consider bringing a portable charger (particularly if you are a Lead Canvasser).
- Putting your phone in Airplane Mode will assist in saving battery, just be sure to sync your data once you’re finished (this may also limit Map functionality).
- The App works fantastically on Tablets - give it a go!
- Prepare for the worst - print some walk-sheets that can be manually entered later.
- Though resources won’t always allow it, it is advisable to Canvass in pairs. If you can do this, have one person input data while the other person leads the canvass.
- Practice exactly what you plan on saying before you go out on the doors - it will make you more confident, and it will make you sound more confident (be sure to check your Talking Points!).
- Always make eye contact with whoever you’re talking to. It’s not only a sign of respect but it also shows you are engaged and interested in what is being discussed.
- Having a good handshake really is crucial when trying to gain support from strangers. A strong handshake can convey confidence before you have even opened your mouth.
- Not everybody is going to be receptive to your candidate's message but remember, avoid engaging in any kind of negative debate or argument. You are representing the candidate and party first.
- You might be surprised at the amount of canvassers who forget to ask for the vote. If you don’t ask, then you won’t receive. This goes doubly for ensuring to get out of your comfort zone, and trying to win new voters!
- Thank them for listening to you - make sure the person at the door remembers you for the right reasons. Always be gracious when leaving.