THE SEARCH FUNCTION
The Search function is one of the two main ways by which to segment your database. Searches can be performed on Contacts, Houses, Streets, or Lists.
To search your database, you can:
- Select either the Contacts, Houses, or Streets tab, then;
- Enter the desired search criteria in the search box
Once a search result has been returned, you can:
- View or edit an individual record
- Add your results to a new or existing List, by either:
a. checking individual check boxes, or
b. The entire search result, by clicking the Select All
Selecting either a Contact or House will open that contacts House page.
From this page, you can:
- see all available personal information
- review any recent activity, including canvas information, or any issues arising.
- see the house's location on a map
- access links to any other individuals residing within the same house
- add a new contact to the house, delete a contact, or delete the house
Selecting an individual Street will display all records of Houses on that Street, though individual records cannot be entered from this page.
Searching Lists works on the same principles as those above.
In addition, on the LISTS tab, you can perform a number of actions by clicking on the three dots icon on that list:
- Edit, Delete or Export a Walk List
- Review the List statistics
- Mark a list as complete using the SET TO DONE option
THE FILTER FUNCTION
The Filter function is similar to the Search function, in that it allows us to segment your contact database. This information is dependent on the information imported from your contact source for example a Voter File, Salesforce, NationBuilder, and or data that has been recorded by your field operators.
Generally, once a filtering option is selected, it will require you to select at least one segment of that filter, to yield results:
HINT - Be sure not to miss the scroll bar down the right hand side!
CONTACT: allows us to filter based upon various personal details; of particular note are List, and Volunteer.
CANVASSING EFFORT: this relates to various matters which may have arisen regarding the canvass: has the contact been canvassed; were they surveyed; the general reception; etc. based on the Canvassing Effort.
By default, your account has a single Canvassing Effort, called Initial Canvassing Effort.
HOUSE: filters based upon the accuracy of the files geocoding; precinct; ZIP code; etc.
SURVEYS: allows us to filter based upon completed survey results.
CUSTOM FIELDS: allows filtering based upon any Custom Fields you have created .
ELECTIONS: allows filtering of contact who have raised an issue in the course of the campaign.
COMBINING SEARCH AND FILTER
Quite often, depending on the specific goal, using a Search or Filter individually may be the best course of action. However, by using the Search and Filter functions in tandem, you can access a highly accurate and detailed view of your contacts.
A few examples of why you may wish to do this are:
- you may filter based upon those of your contacts who require lawn signs, and then use the search function to break these contacts up by address so multiple Canvassers can do deliveries of signs to different contacts
- Having completed a survey on whether or not contacts wanted a new school in their area, you may perform a search to see if their is a geographic element to your contacts opinions (and maybe even filter further to see any potential demographic aspects)Beyond allowing us to identify which contacts support your stance, it would also allow us to reach out to those opposed. Perhaps they can be won over by your policy opinions on other topics relevant to their demographic?