Groups are likely the most important and key part of using Ecanvasser successfully - a Group reflects an exact segment of our database. There are many different reasons why you may want to create one, but if you want to do anything, you’re probably going to make a Group.
Creating a Group
Regardless of the reason for creating a Group, the process of doing so remains the same. Once you have used the Search and Filter functions to identify a segment:
- Select either the individual records, or all voters.
- Click add to group
- Create a new group, or add to an existing group.
The Groups tab
The Groups tab is somewhat different to the other tabs in our People Database. It contains a list of our current Groups, Statistics on the canvas status of a Group, and Quick Icons.
- Set Group as Done
- Edit Group/Assign Group to a Team
- Export Walk Sheet
- Review Group Statistics
Select Group to Delete/Export Group
Merging & Dividing Groups
In order to merge two or more groups:
- Create a new Group, giving it the desired title of the merged Group
- Select one of the Groups to be merged
- Select all records
- Click on Group, followed by the newly created merged Group name.
- Repeat for the required number of individual Groups to be added to Group created for the merger.
At times you may also wish to divide Groups:
- Create a new Group(s), giving it the title desired.
- Select the Group to be divided
- Search or Filter identify the people you wish to transfer to a new Group
- Select all of your results, and now add these to the newly created Group
- You can now:
- repeat the process if you wish to divide the Group multiple times
- repeat the Search or Filter, delete the people from the parent Group, and rename the Group to reflect this
- leave the initial parent Group as is
From the Groups tab, we can use the Search and Filter functions in much the same way as on other tabs.
Groups are Versatile!
The primary function of Ecanvasser is as a mobile canvassing app, and the creation of Groups is the primary manner in which canvasses are set up. However, Groups are incredibly versatile in their use, and have many other potential applications for organization, and record keeping. It's worth noting that Groups are most powerful when their use is combined with Custom Fields.
A few examples would be:
- Organization: as well as helping you keep track of your voters, you can use Ecanvasser to get as detailed a view of your organization!
- GOTV (Poll-striking): use Groups in tandem with Custom Fields to manage your polling day operation.
- Planning Ahead: Keep records of people who are willing to assist in certain ways so you have a useful starting point for your next campaign!
Note: You may wish to adopt a standard naming practice for your Groups, particularly if you plan on using them for multiple tasks beyond canvassing.
This could simply be, for canvasses: Area - Action - Date
or for organization: Org - Purpose
Develop a system that meets your needs!