Importing a Contact File will likely be one of the first things you do with Ecanvasser. This file can serve as your Database as your account activity begins, saving vital time before your organizers become active.
Contact File Formatting - Best Practice
We have found that some of the common support questions we are asked can be traced back to an issue with a Contact File upload. Spending a little bit of time ensuring that your contact file is formatted appropriately is well worth the investment - your entire Database will rely on this file, and it’s format!
Files can be: .xlsx, .xls, or .csv, and should be a maximum size of 40mb.
If you require to upload a File larger than this, it may be split into multiple files for individual upload.
If you have any problems importing your file, you can check out our Formatting your contact file , alternatively you can contact Support.
- The individual order of columns within your File is not critical, you will have the opportunity to assign column headings later in the upload process.
- Consistency! Ensure that the information in individual columns remains uniform (if it isn’t, uploading separate Files) may be the best option, or else you may want to 'clean' your data
- Be thorough - even though your campaign effort may be quite local, in order to ensure that your addresses are geocoded (converting addresses to locations on the map), be sure to include complete addresses, including state.
- If you wish to pre-populate any of your custom fields with generic information, it is essential you add this to your file before importing your Contact File. For example. pre-populating a column with "N", so you only have to fill out "Y". Thereafter, Custom Fields may of course be created but they will not be pre-populated with information.
Preparing your File for Import
From the Import page:
- Go To the Import Data Page
- Select UPLOAD CONTACT FILE Option
3. Select a File from your Local Hard drive
Once your File has completed uploading, you must finalize the data, before beginning your import.
4. Use the Select Field header to title each individual column in your File (that you wish to import) from the pop-up dialog
- A number of fields are required to be completed for an import to take place, these are marked with a black asterisk, and relates to the minimum level of data required on a record:
5. You can create Custom Fields within the pop-up dialog as well as new Election fields:
Start the Importing your File
- Once all the columns that you need to import are selected, the next step is t select the START IMPORT button. You will now be alerted to any potential entries that may cause issue. It will also notify you if you have completed all the required fields.
- Use the arrows to cycle between entries with potential issue
- You can now choose whether to CANCEL, so as to further review and revise your File, or you can select Confirm Import to proceed.
The system will ask you to verify that the addresses in your contacts files appear accurate based on where they are appearing on the map:
Click NEXT if you are happy that the addresses are appearing in the correct place within the map.
You can now review the progress of your contact file upload.
Once the progress bar shows 100%, these contacts will be listed on our Database page.
Click the "three dots" icon to see other options available to you:
The Geocoding process will next begin.
This is the process whereby your contacts addresses will be translated into latitude and longitude points on the map so they can best be plotted.
This process is generally completed within 24 hours, and is dependent on the size of your contact file.
If you have any questions, you can message us in app or email email@example.com