Importing a Contact File will likely be one of the first things you do with Ecanvasser. This file can serve as your Database as your campaign begins, saving vital time on the doors.
Contact File Formatting - Best Practice
We have found that some of the common support questions we are asked can be traced back to an issue with a Contact File upload. As such, spending a little bit of time ensuring that your file is formatted appropriately, is well worth the investment - your entire Database will rely on this file, and it’s format!
Files can be: .xlsx, .xls, or .csv, and should be a maximum size of 40mb. If you require to upload a File larger than this, it may be split into multiple files for individual upload.
If you have any problems importing your file, you can check out our Formatting your contact file , alternatively you can contact Support.
- The individual order of columns within your File is not critical, you will have the opportunity to assign column headings later in the upload process.
- Consistency! Ensure that the information in individual columns remains uniform (if it isn’t, uploading separate Files) may be the best option, or else you may want to 'clean' your data
- Be thorough - even though your campaign may be quite local, in order to ensure that your addresses are geocoded (converting addresses to locations on the map), be sure to include complete addresses, including state.
- If you wish to pre-populate any of your custom fields with generic information, it is essential you add this to your file before importing your Contact File. For example. pre-populating a column with "N", so you only have to fill out "Y". Thereafter, Custom Fields may of course be created but they will not be pre-populated with information.
Preparing your File for Import
From the Import tab:
- Go To the Import Page
- Select File Option
3. Click Import File Button
4. Select a File from your Local Hard drive
Once your File has completed uploading, we must finalize the data, before beginning your import.
5. Use the Select Field header to title each individual column in your File (that you wish to import) from the pop-up menu
- A number of fields are required to be completed for an import to take place, these are marked with a black asterisk, and relates to the minimum level of data required on a record:
6. If desired, a new Custom Field can be created within the pop-up menu, and act as a heading. Similarly, we can create a New Election.
Importing your File
- Select Start Import
You will now be alerted to any potential entries that may cause issue. It will also notify you if you have completed all the required fields.
2. Use the arrows to cycle between entries with potential issue
3. You can now choose whether to Cancel, so as to further review and revise your File, or you can select Confirm Import to proceed.
The system will ask you to confirm the address of one of your contacts based on the relevant data points which were provided.
This will bring us to our Files page. From here, we can review the progress of our Files upload. Once the progress bar shows 100%, these contacts will be listed on our Contacts tab.
We also have the options to:
- Download File
- View File History
- Delete File
The Geocoding process will now begin. This is the process whereby your voters addresses will be translated into latitude and longitude points on the map so they can best be plotted. This process is generally completed within 24 hours, depending on the size of your file.
If you have any questions, you can message us in app or email email@example.com