Importing a Voter File will likely be one of the first things you do with Ecanvasser. This Voter File will serve as your People Database as your campaign begins, saving vital time on the doors.
Voter File Formatting - Best Practice
We have found that some of the common support questions we are asked can be traced back to an issue with a Voter File upload. As such, spending a little bit of time ensuring that your file is formatted appropriately, is well worth the investment - your entire People Database will rely on this file, and it’s format!
Voter Files can be: .xlsx, .xls, or .csv, and should be a maximum size of 40mb. If you require to upload a Voter File larger than this, it may be split into multiple files for individual upload.
If you have any problems importing your voter file, you can check out our Formatting Your Voter File article, alternatively you can contact Support.
- The individual order of columns within your Voter File is not critical, you will have the opportunity to assign column headings later in the upload process.
- Consistency! Ensure that the information in individual columns remains uniform (if it isn’t, uploading separate Voter Files) may be the best option
- Be thorough - even though your campaign may be quite local, in order to ensure that your addresses are geocoded (converting addresses to locations on the map), be sure to include complete addresses, including state.
- If you wish to pre-populate any of your custom fields with generic information, it is essential you add this to your file before importing your Voter File. For example. pre-populating a column with "N", so you only have to fill out "Y" Thereafter, Custom Fields may of course be created but they will not be pre-populated with information.
If you require any assistance, be sure to Contact us and we will be eager to help!
Preparing your Voter File for Import
From the People tab:
- Go To the Import Page
- Select Voter File Option
3. Click Import Voter File Button
4. Select a Voter File
Once your Voter File has completed uploading, we must finalize the data, before beginning your import.
5. Use the Select Field header to title each individual column in your Voter File (that you wish to import) from the pop-up menu
- A number of fields are required to be completed for an import to take place, these are marked with a black asterisk, and relates to the minimum level of data required on a voter record:
6. If desired, a new Custom Field can be created within the pop-up menu, and act as a heading. Similarly, we can create a New Election.
Importing your Voter File
- Select Start Import
You will now be alerted to any potential entries that may cause issue
2. Use the arrows to cycle between entries with potential issue
3. You can now choose whether to Cancel, so as to further review and revise your Voter File, or you can select Confirm Import to proceed.
This will bring us to our Voter Files page. From here, we can review the progress of our Voter Files upload. Once the progress bar shows 100%, these people will be listed on our People tab.
We also have the options to:
- Download Voter File
- View Voter File History
- Delete Voter File
The Geocoding process will now begin. This is the process whereby your voters addresses will be translated into latitude and longitude points on the map so they can best be plotted. This process is generally completed within 24 hours, depending on the size of your voter file.